Friday, September 23, 2011

Currently.

This week I finished Tweak by Nic Sheff. I really enjoyed the book. It was so raw and was very disturbing at times. It really is a miracle he is alive today with how many drugs he put into his body. Where I left off for my last blog about the book he was clean. Well he relapsed with his girlfriend and just like before, everything was falling apart. His parents finally forced him into treatment and it really helped him. He realized that his girlfriend at the time was someone he shouldn't be with. After he got out of rehab he was clean for sometime and replapsed on pills and "medical" marijuana, but before it could get out of hand, he put himself into a rehab center. Today he has been clean for 6 years and is living with his girlfriend in Portland, Oregon.

This blog is going to be a little different when it comes to my sentences. Instead of favorite sentences of the week, I am going to post my favorite sentences of the month.

  • “ Honestly, I'm not sure how much longer I can keep doing this. It's like there are seven candles lit in my stomach. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven. Seven candles burning and smoking - lit - seven flames of doubt, fear, sorrow, pain, waste, hopelessness, despair. They turn my insides black with soot and ash. There is something at the back of my eyes- a pressure building, building, building - hot like the flames of seven candles, which no amount of breath can extinguish. I imagine drinking glasses of water. One, two, three four, five, six, seven. I dive into the clearest pool. I drown myself in the coarse, dry sand. I swallow handfuls of crushed white salt, but the flames burn still - brighter, hotter, deeper. Sweat runs in delicate patterns down my back, over my crooked spine and jutting hips. I scratch at the wounds these last weeks have left, but I can't break free of them. The flies gather and vultures circle overhead. The fire eats away my flesh. The fire spreads. The fire runs through my veins. The fire courses beneath my muscles - my tendons - the marrow of my bones. I sit rocking on the street corner. No, I can't keep doing this. I just can't.”
**I really love this quote from Tweak. I don't really know why but it just sticks out to me and I think it is just so beautifully written.**

  • "Why doesn't love come with an owner's manual?"
**I think a lot of people wished that not only love came with an owner's manual but just life in general. I think that is why I like this quote from Fallout by Ellen Hopkins so much.**

  • "The monster likes to talk; he jumps into your head and opens your mouth, making it spout your deepest darkest deceptions. Making you say all the things you'd rather not say, at least not in mixed company."
**I really like this quote from Crank by Ellen Hopkins. It personifies Kristina's addiction for the Monster (Meth), and shows how deep her addiction really is.**

  • My Sky
  • We were outside
    in the street
    me and some other kids
    kicking the ball
    before dinner
    and Sky was
    chasing chasing chasing
    with his feet going
    every which way
    and his tail
    wag-wag-wagging
    and his mouth
    slob-slob-slobbering
    and he was all over the place
    smiling and wagging
    and slobbering
    and making us laugh
    and my dad
    came walking up the street
    he was way down there
    near the end
    I could see him
    after he got off the bus
    and he was walk-walk-walking
    and I saw him wave
    and he called out
    "Hey there, son!"
    and so I didn't see
    the car
    coming from the other way
    until someone else--
    one of the big kids--
    called out
    "Car!"
    and I turned around
    and saw a
    blue car blue car
    splattered with mud
    speeding down the road
    And I saw Sky
    going after the ball
    wag-wag-wagging
    his tail
    and I called him
    "Sky! Sky!"
    and he turned his
    head
    but it was too late because the
    blue car blue car
    splattered with mud
    hit Sky
    thud thud thud
    and kept on going
    in such a hurry
    so fast
    so many miles to go
    it couldn't even stop
    and
    Sky
    was just there
    in the road
    lying on his side
    with his legs bent funny
    and his side heaving
    and he looked up at me
    and I said
    "Sky! Sky! Sky!"
    and then my dad
    was there
    and he lifted Sky
    out of the road
    and laid him on the grass
    and
    Sky
    closed his eyes
    and
    he
    never
    opened
    them
    again
    ever.
**I love this book and especially this poem! I have no other reason to have this poem on here other than I just love it!**

Pages Read this Week: 168
Pages Read this Semester: 2480

No comments:

Post a Comment