Friday, October 21, 2011

Currently.

This week I ended up reading Burned by Ellen Hopkins. This was really an awesome book and It might actually be my favorite other than the Crank series. This book broke my heart and is the first book in a really long time to actually make me cry. The book follows a sixteen year old girl, Pattyn. She comes from a strict Mormon family and after she has a dream about sex, her life changes. She ends up getting a boyfriend and then everything really goes downhill. She becomes a different person and her dad doesn't like that so he sends her away to Caliente, Nevada to spend the summer with her Aunt Jeanette. During the summer Pattyn ends up meeting and falling for a boy named Ethan. During this summer she gets her shot at Forever Love.

Decription from inside book:

It all started with a dream. Nothing exceptional, just a typical fantasy about a boy, the kind of dream that most teen girls experience. But Pattyn Von Stratten is not like most teen girls. Raised in a religious - yet abusive - family, a simple dream may not be exactly a sin, but it could be the first step toward hell and eternal damnation.This dream is a first step for Pattyn. But is it to hell or to a better life? For the first time Pattyn starts asking questions. Questions seemingly without answers - about God, a woman's role, sex, love -- mostly love. What is it? Where is it? Will she ever experience it? Is she deserving of it?
 
Favorite quotes:
 
“Can a dream be wrong? Aren't dreams God's way of telling you things?”
“Real love finds you once, if your lucky.”
 
“Do you know how beautiful you are?' I shook my head 'I'm not. But you make me fell like I am.' I wanted to be beautiful. To him. For him. I didn't care how anybody else saw me. Only Ethan.”
Pages read this week: 531
Pages read this semester: 4064

No comments:

Post a Comment